Thursday, July 19, 2012

Where to go for the best ideas

Leading on from yesterday I though I'd cover off where to go for the best ideas. If thinking creatively is thinking in other boxes, then the best place to look for ideas is in other boxes that have more severe consequences than your own box (or industry).

As an example if you are dealing with:
  • a quality problem, then look to the airline industry  
  • a rapid response problem, then look to the police
  • a contingency for disaster problem, then look to the nuclear industry
  • a turnaround problem, then look to the formula one racing industry
  • a moving delicate heavy machinery around problem, then look to how they do it on aircraft carriers

If you have an ethics problem, then I think you may be on your own. I can't think of any industry which has solved ethics to the same extent as the airline industry has solve quality. Any comments to the contrary are welcome...

Note: select Comment as: then anonymous from the drop down if you don't want to go through some sort of Google log-in.

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely agree, thinking outside the box is important, but I think it may be not enough, the new ideas need nurturing and support, so it is also important to listen and respect others suggestion before act on them. I would like to share my experience here.
    Once, I found out, installing a 30kg chassis requires 3 local engineers to finish it according to product instructions. I began to think, whether a tool can help reduce labor to one because in my opinion 30-kg chassis is not too heavy to need 3 person work together. So,I try to install it by myself in our lab. As a result, I successfully accomplish it with the aid of a wooden stool. Hence, I told my idea to my manager and colleagues. Under their support and encouragement, we finally decide to introduce two brackets into installation kits, which can help lift and fasten chassis before screw it, instead of two labors, and it also helps company to save the labor cost in this way.

    ReplyDelete