Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Being introverted

There's been a bit recently on Forbes.com about introverts, which I found interesting (some of the articles are linked to below) but not for the reason that Forbes.com did.

Firstly, a bit of disclosure, I fit into the category of introvert. The definition I use to categorize this is that an introvert gets their energy from within while extroverts get their energy from those around them. I ht a lot of the other markers too including not being a great conversationalist (in most situations).

The thing that I found most interesting about the series of Forbes articles is that they seemed to subscribe to a standard stereotypical view of introverts as somehow not fitting in, being less capable, or having certain weaknesses than need to be compensated for - then from that base arguing the benefits. I disagree.

We all have strengths in certain areas, and weaknesses that are only weaknesses in some situations (but can be strengths in others).  If we let one of two areas define us it's letting the stereotype model take us over. We are so much the product of a variety of experience, education, situation, and so many other complicated factors that I view something like introversion as a means to judging a person's effectiveness is immaterial. To me it's as ridiculous and unforgivable as saying someone has a certain weakness because of their ethnicity, country of birth, gender or religious belief.

Personally I find being an introvert as a source of strength, I could think of no greater disability than having my energy levels tied to those around me.We can't change who we are but we can decide how we view the things that shape us.

Here's some light reading.
Introverts in the Office: How to Work Well in an Extrovert's World
The secret power of introverts
Introverts can make the best leaders

No comments:

Post a Comment